Rooted in our guiding values, these next steps can help anyone move forward in their journey to find and follow Jesus. We’re a people of movement and action. What’s your next step?
Our mission is to help as many people as possible take their next steps to find and follow Jesus Christ. We want those ‘next steps’ (our discipleship pathway) to be easy to understand and rooted in Scripture, Jesus’ disciple-making strategy, and our values as a church family.
…to find and follow Jesus Christ
When we speak of helping people to FIND Jesus Christ, we are talking about helping seekers take steps toward a life-giving relationship with Jesus. As we take those steps, God begins to reveal the plans he has for our lives. These plans are far greater than we can imagine. God has plans to help us, not harm us; plans to give us hope and a future (Jer. 29:11). God has plans to use our lives to change the world, but it all starts when we enter His plans to change us and make us into the men and women He designed us to be… when we in saving faith choose to become a follower of Jesus, making Him the leader of our lives.
What does it mean to FOLLOW Jesus? First, we need to realize that becoming a follower of Christ isn’t the end. In fact, it is the beginning of an incredible adventure of knowing Jesus, serving Jesus, and making Jesus known by our words and actions. Much of what we do as a church family is designed to help followers of Jesus grow in their relationship with Him and become generous with our lives — freely giving away our time, talent, treasures, and our faith in Christ to those in our sphere of influence. Why? Simply because, we believe God desires to use every follower of Jesus to change the world by making disciples.
The pathway to finding and following Jesus Christ is simple…
Jesus first calls seekers to “come and see” (John 1:39) and to “come to me” (Matthew 11:28). It’s an invitation to explore what faith is like and to get to know Jesus, His followers, and His mission. How? When we gather with other believers, explore the truth of God’s Word personally and corporately, and learn to worship God not only with our words and songs, but also with our heart and the way we live. This and more happens when we SEEK God’s plans for our lives. Why do we seek? Because, just as one of our core values states, we value God’s plans more than our plans.
Next, Jesus says to “follow me” (John 1:43) and to “remain in me,” (John 15:1-4). As followers of Jesus it is vital to cultivate a close and authentic relationship with Him, which becomes our motivation to make any kind of difference we can for Him in our world. We do this by engaging in spiritual formation, learning to do life together in Biblical community, and encouraging each other in our journey with Jesus. This is what it means to GROW in God’s truth. Why take a step to grow? Because, we believe to our core that God’s truth is more important than our opinions.
As we grow in our relationship with Christ we will begin to realize that God has us here to make a difference, and in fact, to change the world. We’re not here for ourselves, and Jesus teaches us how to “fish” for people (Matthew 4:19) as we “serve” and “give” our lives for others, just as Jesus modeled for us (Matthew 20:24-28). It’s our love for others, demonstrated through extravagant generosity, that helps others see what Jesus is all about. The best part is we don’t have to go at it alone! As we SERVE with God’s people, the world will see God’s love in us. Why take a step to serve? Because, we value God’s people more than our programs.
Once we begin to grasp a lifestyle of selfless service, Jesus then challenges his followers to “bear much fruit” (John 15:1-8) and gives us the command to “make disciples” wherever we go (Matthew 28:18-20). First of all, this involves influencing others for Christ where we live, in our neighborhoods and communities. Then, as God expands our heart, we become willing to help start new campuses or ministries, or perhaps further the cause in other places around the world. This is all captured in taking the step to GO into God’s mission to rescue and redeem His world. Why do we go? Because, we believe God’s mission is more important than our comfort.
Wherever you are in your journey to find and follow Jesus, we invite you to take your next step. Here is what those next steps might look like at Grand Point:
- Participating in events, worship experiences, Counseling, Celebrate Recovery, community Circles, Starting Point, and more;
- Making a commitment to follow Jesus and letting us know about your decision;
- Celebrating your relationship with Jesus through Baptism.
- 2020 Baptism Dates: April 11 & September 20
- 2020 Child Dedications: May 10 & November 1
- Participating in FirstSteps, or meeting with a mentor to learn the next steps pathway & how to engage in spiritual growth.
- Joining or starting a Circle;
- Partnering with GPC through membership.
- 2020 New Member Classes: March 22 & October 11
- Discovering God’s design for your life and volunteering within the church and community personally, with your family or your Circle,
- Developing your leadership potential at the Grand Point Leadership Network each month, and the Global Leadership Summit in August each year,
- Giving toward GPC ministries / Legacy Giving.
- Influencing others in your world for Christ;
- Engaging in a local/global 12:24 Vision initiative individually, with your family, or with your Circle;
- You, your family, and your Circle helping to launch a new GPC Campus.
Do you have questions about your next step?
Contact Doug Coldsmith (firstname.lastname@example.org).